- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of anise seed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 4 eggs
- About 3 - 4 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup with sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
1. Heat the milk and the butter together in a medium saucepan, until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and add them warm water.
2. In a large bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, yeast, salt, anise seed and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Beat in the warm milk mixture then add the eggs and orange zest and beat until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of flour and continue adding more flour until the dough is soft.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This will take about 1 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down and shape it into a large round loaf with a round knob on top.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven let cool slightly then brush with glaze.
In a small saucepan combine the 1/4 cup sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 2 minutes. Brush over top of bread while still warm. Sprinkle glazed bread with white sugar.